Khoobz is a slightly leavened flat bread consumed in many parts of the world, particularly in Middle east and Mediterranean areas.
Staple food of many countries can be enjoyed in many different ways. You can scoop the dips or any gravies in the same manner as any other traditional flat bread like Roti or chapathi .
One of the main features of Khoobz is the longer shelf life when compared with other traditional flat btrads.It can be stored upto 4 days in normal conditions.It also can be freezed for longer shelf life.Simply microwave for 20 seconds to regain the original softness. Care may have to be taken to keep it covered and not exposed to the environment.
In addition to the normal usage, Khoobz is also used for making sandwitches and rolls.
The most popular are Shawarma sandwich and Falafel roll or sandwich.
Many cafeterias are offering a whole range of Middle eastern sandwiches with other accompaniments like Hummus, another popular dip all over the world.
The cone of meat, marinated in yogurt and seasoning, is layers upon layers of meat (lamb, or chicken) place on a spit and topped off with an onion and lemon. The spit is placed vertically in front of an open flame. As the meat cooks it is turned. The shwarma chef takes his sharp knife in hand and cuts off paper thin slices of cooked meat which drop into a waiting tray below. The cooked meat, salad and yogurt or hot sauce are placed on the khoobz and rolled.
- Chicken breast cut into ½ inch slices 4 nos
- Garlic paste 1 tea spoon
- Salt …1/4 spoon
- Black pepper( ground) ¼ tea spoon
- Olive oil ……4 table spoons
- Lemon juice….1 table spoon
Marinate the chicken with garlic paste, salt ,pepper and lemon juice. Mix well and add 1 table spoon Olive oil. Keep in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Diced pieces of.
- Cucumber 1 medium size
- Tomato 1 no.
- Capsicum 1 no.
- Lettuce 4 leaves
For Yogurt sauce
- Thick yogurt/hung curd……100 gms
- Garlic paste ¼ tsp
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon juice ½ tsp
- Add garlic paste,lemon juice and salt in the yogurt, mix well and keep refrigerated.
- Heat a pan and add the remaining olive oil.
- Cook the chicken using a grill pan or a non stick frying pan
- Turn the chicken and cook until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and cut dices.
- Spread Yoghurt sauce on khoobz
- Add diced chicken and vegetables.
- Add 1-2 spoon of Yoghurt sauce topping.
- Make a roll and enjoy.